Do you know about Sungai Congkak Recreational Forest?
We are sure most of you have heard about Sungai Congkak Recreational Forest if you live in Kuala Lumpur or Selangor. While searching for campsite in Selangor or KL or at least an hour away from KL city center, we stumble upon Sungai Congkak Recreational Forest which is operated under Selangor State Government a few years back. We have been bringing our camping group (Zeff Camp) more than a few times for overnight camping trips there.
Interesting facts about Sungai Congkak Recreational Forest
Surrounding by vast greenery around swim-able river, you are sure to have a good time with your family and friends there. A lot of people come for day picnic there, but it does have various area for you to pitch your tents either for a super small group or large group. To make your decision easier, we list down some actual facts about the Sungai Congkak Recreational Forest below.
- Located in Hulu Langat, an hour away from KL City Center.
- It might be hard to find without GPS (Waze, Google Maps) due to lack of sign boards.
- Very pack in the weekend with locals flocking to the area for day picnic.
- Toilets and shower rooms might not be first class, but it is doable.
- There are paved roads inside the forest but they are in bad conditions.
- There is a small parking area nearby the gate area (mostly for day picnic visitors). However, if you camp there, you can bring your car in for a fee.
- There are a few street lamps (some of them were broken) to provide light to the nearby area at night.
- There is a big field (perhaps a football size field) toward the inner side of the forest.
- Most of the allocated campsite are nearby the river.
- There are numbering system for the various area of the campsite in the Sungai Congkak Recreational Forest starting with 1, 2, 2+ and so on. Unfortunately, I do not have the maps for indicated area.
- We usually booked the campsite area called 2+ for large group. (more than 15 people)
- The campsite area has its own raised plot for each tent. (Max maybe for 6 men tent size). However, if your tent are so big with different design than dome type, you can pitch your tent at other suitable area.
- Gate close at 12AM and last registration is before 6PM.
Booking Campsite for Sungai Congkak Recreational Forest
The good news is, you can book the campsite before you camp there. Especially if you are going to camping with a large group. This way, you can secure your campsite area.
Another good news is, you do not need to pay prior your booking and only make the payment when you arrive on your camping day at the reception office near the entrance.
Here’s the contact details and some fees structure for you to consider.
Location: Sungai Congkak Recreational Forest
Contact Name: Puan Sharihan
Contact Number: +60 19-317 6268 (WhatsApp available)
Entrance Fees for Malaysian Citizens: RM 1 per person
Entrance Fees for Non-Malaysian Citizens: RM 5 per person
Campsite Fees: RM 10 per tent
Car park fees (If you park your car inside): RM 5 per car
Our Verdict on Sungai Congkak Recreational Forest
Having been there multiple times, we would like to say camping in Sungai Congkak Recreational Forest has provided one of the best experience of truly leisure camping. Even though the facilities are not on par with private campsites, there are still usable. By saying that, two days and 1 night trip might be suitable given that less frequent trip to the bathrooms.
We normally booked at least few weeks earlier (if we have bigger group) to ensure that we secured the campsite area that we want. However, sometimes, there are people already occupied our area once we reached there in the afternoon. Perhaps, you can raise up a complaint to the registration office.
The river are quite swim-able with not-so-fast water currents (depending on which part of the river you camped though) and if the weather is nice, the river are crystal clear with some small fish around to bite your dead skin off (no worries, it is harmless).
Thus, Sungai Congkak Recreational Camping is a good place for camping either with small group of people (family & friends) or large group of people (as if you are an esteemed organizer).
If you plan to go for camping, you can check out our JomCamp page for affordable camping equipment such as tents, BBQ stuffs and even camping chairs for rental.
Or you can join us for our monthly camping trips around Peninsular of Malaysia by following our IG here and check out the upcoming trips that we have posted there.